With news of COVID-19 developments on every other news broadcast and Facebook article, many people may forget the importance of receiving their seasonal flu shots. Flu season runs from October to May, and is recommended by Canada Health Services that everyone over the age of 6 months be immunized.
It is common knowledge that the flu can affect everyone differently. Below is a list of people who are at a higher risk for complications as a result of the common flu:
- people with health conditions, such as:
- cancer and other immune compromising conditions
- heart disease
- lung disease
- kidney disease
- neurological or neurodevelopmental conditions
- children up to 18 years of age undergoing treatment for long periods with acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)
- people 65 years and older
- people who live in nursing homes or other long-term care facilities
- children under 5 years of age
- pregnant people or those planning to get pregnant
- people who experience barriers in accessing health care
- people who are at an increased risk of disease because of living conditions, such as overcrowding
*Information sourced by Canada Health Services
For your convenience, International Ave Pharmacy offers quick and easy walk-in flue shots with no calling ahead or appointments required. Simply visit the pharmacy during our operating hours, and request a flu shot at our front counter. Our pharmaceutical technicians will bring you to a separated, sanitized room to receive your shot.
You will be asked to stay in the pharmacy for 10 minutes after your shot in the unlikely case of any immediate side effects from the immunization. While waiting, you are welcome to browse our selection of over-the-counter medication and health aids, or simply chat with our friendly staff until the time has passed.
Please note that mask wearing is required to enter the pharmacy at this time.